CHALK ART FEST Registration
Thank you for your interest in becoming an artist at this year’s Chalk Art Fest. This event is designed to celebrate artists coming together to share their creativity and talents with the community. Before submitting your registration, please read the information and rules listed below.
Schwiebert Riverfront Park
101 17th St, Rock Island, IL 61201
We are thrilled to present this year’s event in the beautiful setting of Schwiebert Riverfront Park in downtown Rock Island, IL, directly across the street from Quad City Arts headquarters and gallery.
Dates & Times
CHALK ART RULES
- Artists will be assigned an 8' x 10’ section of pavement on first come, first serve basis upon arrival. Artwork that is to be judged must remain within the space provided.
- Youth category will have a smaller 6'x6' square and will be judged separately from other categories. *At least one team member must be 12 years of age or older and all team members must be 17 or younger by June 26, 2021 to be eligible for youth category award.
- Artists may create original works or reproductions of other works. If you are creating a reproduction of a pre-existing piece by another artist, you must credit the original artist and title in a visible location immediately next to your artwork.
- Artists will be provided a 48-count box of BLICK pastels. Artists may bring additional chalk if they desire. (This is recommended if your piece involves heavy use of one or more colors.)
- Additional chalk may be available at the registration area.
- Artists may not use stencils in the creation of their chalk art works.
- You may bring your own additional chalk, but it must be non-oil based soft chalk/pastels in solid form.
- No spray chalk or marking chalk may be used. Since pieces will be judged, this keeps the competition fair.
- All chalk must be water-based. No paint, crayon, ink, fixatives, or other permanent products may be applied to the pavement.
- The art must be suitable for public and family viewing. No nudity, political statements, inappropriate content, or commercial or political advertisements are allowed. Quad City Arts reserves the right to make this judgment at any point in the process.
- Respect your fellow artists! Do not walk on their art or have open beverage containers that might spill. Keep your supplies contained in your space. Help your fellow artists by sharing or trading chalk. And take the time to chat...you might make a new friend!
- No boom boxes or loud music, please. Quiet music from a phone or other portable source is acceptable, but must remain family-friendly and suitable for public listening. Quad City Arts reserves the right to ask artists to turn down (or turn off) their music.
- Canopy tents are unfortunately not allowed, due to liability issues, however you may use a hand-held umbrella.
- Artists' appearance and clothing should be suitable for a family-friendly, public gathering.
- Onlookers are an important part of this public festival. Please interact with the public, when possible!
- While you provide the artwork, our sponsors provide the financial support that makes the festival possible. As a sign of appreciation to our sponsors, a sponsor's name may appear near your chalk art area. You may enhance it by drawing a frame around it. However, it must always remain clearly visible, unobstructed, and clean throughout the length of the festival. If you are introduced to a sponsor or sponsor's representative, please thank them for their generous support!
- Works must be completed by 2:00pm on Sunday for judging.
Suggested Supplies to Bring
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, umbrellas or a hat! Remember that you may be out in the sun for many hours each day.
- Drinking water. Stay hydrated!
- Whisk broom or brush for cleaning the drawing surface.
- A piece of heavy fabric, carpet square or cardboard to sit or stand on to avoid smearing your work.
- A soft towel, gardener’s pad, or knee pads to kneel on.
- A chalkboard eraser, foam, terry cloth or short-cut brushes for blending larger areas of color.
- Water and a cloth or sponge to erase unwanted parts of your design.
- Old towels or rags to clean up as necessary.
- Additional chalk, if you need a lot of a certain color. A 48-count box of BLICK Pastel Chalk is provided. Additional chalk may be available at registration but is not guaranteed.
- Gloves to protect your hands.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Don’t underestimate the power of the sun. Wear sunscreen, hats, and other items that can protect your skin, and drink plenty of water! If it is forecasted to be very hot, you may want to consider bringing a small tent for shade.
- Most artists start by outlining their entire drawing, then coloring it in with the pastel chalks. We recommend using the grid method. If you’re curious about how this works, feel free to contact us.
- Stand up and away from your drawing frequently to see it from a different perspective and check your progress.
- Take care of your hands! Try not to blend chalk with your fingers too much. Wearing latex or cotton gloves helps. We recommend using a rag, chalkboard erasers, brushes or foam noodles to help blend colors.
- Registration is free, artists need only provide their time, enthusiasm and talents!
- One complimentary 48-ct box of pastel chalk will be provided per individual/team
- Lunch vouchers will be provided for each artist, each day you participate.
- Artists will be assigned an 8’ x 10’ square Thank you for your interest in becoming an artist at the Chalk Art Fest!
SUPPORT THE ARTS THROUGH SPONSORSHIP
Quad City Arts' events would not be possible without the support of our many generous sponsors. Whether it is an in-kind sponsorship of goods or services, or a cash sponsorship towards an event or attraction, the opportunities are nearly endless. Contact us to learn more!
309.793.1213 ext. 104